We encounter many traumatic experiences in life, such as the grief of losing a loved one, the loss of a relationship, being the victim of violence, or living through a natural disaster. But traumatic experiences can follow you through life if they are not properly processed. This can lead to feelings of inadequacy, unhealthy coping mechanisms, and worsening mental health issues. If you are struggling with trauma, you may experience daily feelings of guilt, shame, anxiety, and depression as a result. However, Insight Recovery Centers’ trauma-informed care allows you to get the full personalized care experience to find healthful coping ways. Individual therapy with our experienced professionals, paired with our addiction therapy programs, can help you move through trauma to live a more well-rounded and meaningful life.
What Is Trauma Therapy?
Trauma therapy can help you to seek healthful ways of coping with traumatic events in your life. Individual trauma therapy is a focused type of therapy to help you assess how trauma affects your daily life through your emotions, interactions with others, and physical well-being. Different types of therapies for treating trauma may include the following:
- Cognitive processing therapy: This type of therapy helps challenge your thoughts and beliefs around a situation.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy for trauma: A type of trauma-informed care that helps you adjust unhealthy behavior patterns or beliefs.
- Imaginal exposure techniques or a written account: You will give a verbal or written account of your traumatic story as a way of unearthing details you have avoided or that you may be fixated upon. This can also help you to explore the impact that the event has had upon your life.
- Eye-movement desensitization and reprocessing: EMDR therapy is a type of therapy that exposes you to a motion that mimics REM sleep patterns and has been proven effective in lessening the emotional impact of traumatic memories.
- Prolonged exposure: You will gradually be exposed to the source of your fear until it becomes less intimidating.
Each trauma-informed care plan will be constructed based on your needs with Insight Recovery Centers. Though there are many types of trauma therapy, your care professional will work with you to find the right fit for your treatment goals.
Benefits of Trauma Therapy
Trauma therapy offers many benefits to the lives of those who have been affected by PTSD or anxiety disorders. Some of the following may be benefits that you experience from trauma-informed care:
- Validate your personal story
- Reduce fear or avoidant behaviors
- Challenge your beliefs
- Build trust and personal safety
- Improve coping mechanisms
As you can see, finding the right trauma therapy can help you regain a sense of safety in your world. This can help you focus on treating underlying disorders, substance-related issues, or just getting you back on track to living your everyday life.
It can be difficult to seek trauma therapy if you have not begun processing trauma. You may not even be entirely aware that trauma is at the root of your need for individual trauma therapy. But mental health disorders or substance use issues can both be worsened by traumatic events. You may even use substances to lessen the emotions and physical symptoms of trauma. Trauma-informed care means that our experienced professionals will consider these important factors when treating you. This holistic approach can help you to navigate your healing process while treating symptoms from a dual-diagnosis view. Trauma-informed care is a productive way for you to get the treatment you need.
Receive Trauma-Informed Care Today With Insight Recovery Centers
If you are struggling with coping after a traumatic event, know that you are not alone. Most individuals experience trauma at some point in their lives. But the good news is that you do not have to face your coping alone. With Insight Recovery Centers, you can process your trauma, face your fears, and move on from the events that keep you rooted in emotional and physical symptoms. Contact us at 703.592.6946 to learn more about our trauma therapy options. Heal your trauma today.