Since addiction treatment isn’t a one-size-fits-all approach, therapeutic practices must be customized as per the patient’s unique needs and case history. Motivational enhancement therapy (MET) is one such approach, which is fast-paced and reliant on feedback, guiding the client towards inward change in a span of a few sessions. So, if you or a loved one is struggling with addiction, Insight Recovery Centers provides a variety of effective addiction treatment therapies that are worth considering.
Without therapy and professional guidance, lifelong recovery from addiction may prove difficult. We offer intensive outpatient programs for adults, with a special focus on aftercare. Our team of doctors, therapists, and healthcare experts work with each patient to discuss the best treatment options and therapies.
To know more about MET and if it is the right fit for you, call us at 703.592.6946.
How Does Motivational Enhancement Therapy (MET) Work?
Motivational enhancement therapy is a treatment strategy that was developed in the 90s. It motivates the clients towards making lasting change and discusses effective coping mechanisms. Unlike other evidence-based therapies where treatment lasts for months or years, MET is time-limited and takes place in just 5-6 sessions.
MET is commonly used to treat alcohol and other substance use disorders, along with other therapies. It is a combination of two counseling approaches, which are:
- Motivational interviewing
- Motivational therapy
MET usually begins with an initial assessment session, wherein the patient discusses their issues with a trained therapist. The MET therapist suggests coping strategies and feedback and reviews the client’s progress in 2-4 sessions. Overall, it has five vital components:
- Express empathy
- Develop discrepancy
- Avoid argument
- Rolling with resistance
- Support self-efficacy
Why We Offer a MET Program
At Insight Recovery Centers, we understand that every individual is different, and hence, we provide personalized treatment plans as per their specific needs and recovery goals.
Our MET program is highly sought-after by certain clients for the following reasons:
- MET is rapid. Treatment is swift, and patients can complete the program within 4-6 sessions. It is especially useful for those who cannot commit to a longer treatment plan.
- MET is based on feedback and positive responses. A MET therapist carefully guides the client towards making positive changes in their life. Moreover, clients aren’t judged for their past risky behavior. Instead, the therapist encourages them to identify and work through resistance.
- MET is goal-oriented. In fact, during the very first session, the therapist discusses the kind of lifestyle changes the patient would like to make and develops an action plan to achieve it.
- MET teaches patients to help themselves. Thus, MET aims to help clients find motivation within themselves and commit to their recovery goals. During the sessions, the patients realize that they are more than capable and can rebuild a better life.
Our MET program teaches individuals how to be self-motivated and self-reliant within a short time.
Our Treatment Center at Ashburn, VA
At our outpatient addiction treatment center, we provide a variety of customizable therapies and recovery programs, including motivational enhancement therapy. Some of the other therapies available at our queer-friendly luxury facility include:
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Contingency management
- Community reinforcement and family training (CRAFT)
- Dialectical behavior therapy
- Motivational interviewing
- Family therapy
- Group therapy
- Personality disorder treatment
- PTSD treatment
- Relapse prevention therapy
- Trauma therapy
- 12-step approach
- Yoga therapy
Find Help at Insight Recovery Centers
At Insight Recovery Centers, we are steadfastly committed to helping individuals from different walks of life recover from their addiction and live happier and healthier lives. In addition to treating the symptoms of the substance use disorder, our therapists guide each client towards finding their inner strength, motivation, and willpower. All our patients receive intensive and individualized care at every step of the recovery journey.
Call us at 703.592.6946 and change your life for the better right now.