Every year, a small percentage of the millions of people that struggle with substance abuse start their new path toward sober living. Sober living can seem like a daunting, insurmountable task as we’re often inundated by media representations of the process that offer the myth that once you have been through rehab, you will have every tool you need to move forward. However, many people may feel overwhelmed by the pressures of rebuilding themselves and their relationships after treatment in a facility. This leaves countless patients coping with the question of where to start in the process of building a new life after rehab.
With Insight Recovery Center’s aftercare programs, reclaiming life after rehab that celebrates the strength of sober living is well within reach.
Setting Goals for a New Life After Rehab
It is important to remember that the path toward sobriety is not a set destination. Sober living is a changeable process that may look different for each patient. Over half of the people who enter addiction recovery treatment experience a relapse at some point. Because building a new life after rehab is not a linear path, that means there will be days when sober living is within reach and days where the struggle is more difficult. Because the journey is so varied, this also means that patients can shift their priorities as they are learning.
Setting achievable goals can help with recreating a new life after rehab. Here are some of the primary goals that many people in addiction recovery find most important in supporting a new lifestyle:
- Building a network of friends and loved ones who can support and aid in holding the person in recovery accountable will be one of the most necessary steps after rehabilitative services. Sometimes this can mean repairing old relationships or letting unhealthy relationships go. Family counseling can help to relieve some of the pressure of these difficult life decisions.
- Seeking financial assistance, legal facilitation, or career counseling may be necessary after an intensive facility-assisted treatment program. Personal counseling can help an individual to outline actionable goals and work to achieve them.
- Setting healthy living goals such as getting proper exercise, joining a gym, taking cooking classes, or working to balance a proper diet can help celebrate and enforce healthful choices that nourish the body. Life skills therapy can guide learners of all levels through some of these learning curves.
- Life after rehab can be supported by partaking in sober activities such as hiking, joining a sports league, learning a craft or an instrument, or attending sober-defined community activities. Aftercare programs can help build connections within the community to locate these types of activities.
As we can see, the process of restoring life after rehab can be a varied one, but there are aftercare programs available to help support sober living goals.
Therapeutic Tools Available
Insight Recovery Center offers an aftercare program and outpatient treatment options, and many addiction recovery therapies and services to help support life after rehab. These include:
- ACT (acceptance and commitment therapy)
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Contingency management
- Community reinforcement and family training (CRAFT)
- Family therapy
- Group therapy
- Meditative therapy
- Relapse prevention therapy
- Life skills training
- Nutrition education/counseling
- Yoga therapy
It’s important to remember that life after rehab may offer new challenges. Still, it is possible to overcome these obstacles after an intensive facility-assisted treatment program if a patient receives the aftercare they need.
Managing Life After Rehab at Insight Recovery Center
Our community-based treatment centers and aftercare programs can help to restore balance to you or your loved ones if you have been struggling with the next steps in addiction recovery. Contact our team today at 703.592.6946 or complete our secure online form to learn more about the therapeutic offerings that can support your personal goals. Insight Recovery Center can support you as you navigate sober living along the path to wellness.